Help Me Switch To Vaping
The world of vaping can be very overwhelming for the novice as there are so many options available to choose from, which can leave people feeling very confused. There are 2 significantly different forms of vaping techniques which will help determine the vaping kit you choose. Sub-ohm devices are generally used for direct to lung (DTL) vaping in contrast to mouth to lung (MTL) devices which are self-explanatory and used for MTL vaping. However, there are some exceptions to the rules with a few sub-ohm devices being used for MTL vaping due to the combination of a more restricted airflow and a lower battery power output. We will explain in more detail below. Browse our devices here
Vaping styles are determined by the inhalation method used. This is very much a personal preference so there is no right or wrong way. However, it is important to understand the different methods as this will determine the types of devices that best suit you and the types of e-liquids you can use.
What is mouth to lung (MTL) vaping
If you are looking for a vaping style that most closely replicates the feeling of smoking a cigarette then mouth to lung vaping is the best option. The majority of newbies to the vaping world choose this method as it feels like the most natural way for them to inhale. This vaping technique requires a low powered device and a high resistance coil (above 1ohm) and results in an intense flavour without producing large clouds! It’s a more discreet way of vaping that provides you with the nicotine fix you are looking for. One of the advantages of this technique is the fact it uses less e-liquid than DTL vaping therefore saving a little money……….every penny counts!!!
What’s the difference between smoking a cigarette and MTL vaping?
As mentioned above MTL vaping most closely replicates the experience of smoking a cigarette. They both essentially follow the same process with the vapour going into the mouth and then being further inhaled into the lungs which allows air to be drawn in at the same time. The user then exhales. However, the main difference between them is down to length of the “draw”. Vaping involves a long, smooth and steady draw to optimise flavour and satisfaction whereas smoking a cigarette involves short, sharp drags.
With MTL vaping you can vary your technique by changing how long you leave the vapour in your mouth. For a more intense flavour and bigger hit, it is recommended you keep it in your mouth a little longer. If you want to avoid any unwanted attention leave the time between inhalation and exhalation as long as possible and this will reduce the size of the vapour cloud.. Vaping in a discreet manner like this is also know as stealth vaping.
What is stealth vaping?
As mentioned above this method of vaping is designed to make you as inconspicuous and discreet as possible and is ideal for anyone wishing to avoid any unwanted attention. Discreet devices combined with low power with a tight MTL draw work best for this type of vaping. Combining this with the user limiting the amount they exhale, this results in a much smaller vapour cloud which can be almost invisible.
What devices work best for MTL vaping?
There are a wide choice of devices available ranging from vaping pens to pod systems that can be used with refillable or pre-filled pods. The more advanced box mods can also be used by making certain adjustments suitable for MTL vaping. This includes using a lower wattage of less than 15W and using a tighter draw which is enabled by the fact that MTL coils tend to be filled with more cotton. The mouthpiece on a tank designed for MTL vaping is usually narrower (510 drip tip) making it closer in feel to a cigarette. Airflow isn’t always adjustable on these tanks but when it is, it is best to keep this as low as possible otherwise you will just experience a large mouthful of heat!!
Why should I choose MTL vaping?
- If you are transitioning from smoking cigarettes and are new to the world of vaping.
- If you would prefer to be discreet when vaping opposed to producing large vapour clouds.
- If you are trying to keep costs as low as possible as this style of vaping uses less e-liquids and doesn’t require such an expensive vaping device.
- If you want to be able to use nicotine salts or high nicotine salt e-liquids as these are not advised when choosing DTL method.
What is direct to lung (DTL) Vaping?
DTL is known as direct to lung vaping and the technique most often employed by the more experienced vapers. This method is very similar to the way we naturally breath and involves inhaling the vapour straight down into your lungs without holding it in your mouth first. This technique would feel very abnormal to first time vapers transitioning from smoking as they are used to allowing the vapour to linger in their mouth before taking down to their lungs. This technique can take a while to master as instead of sucking on the mouthpiece you effectively take a deep breath which means the vapour bypasses your mouth and goes straight into your lungs. The sensation of this for the first time will probably result in the user coughing and needing to exhale immediately. Over a period of time with enough practice most users are able to successfully inhale slowly and steadily for 3-5 seconds to near full lung capacity before needing to exhale. Make sure your exhalation is FAST to achieve the thickest possible cloud production and maximum flavour.
What devices work best for DTL vaping?
DTL devices are completely the opposite of those best suited to MTL vaping. Features that are most important include a variable wattage, wide mouthpiece, sub-ohm coil and adjustable airflow.
- Sub-ohm coil – A low resistance sub-ohm coil is required to ensure the required higher wattage can be achieved.
- Variable wattage – DTL vaping requires cranking up the wattage high. The higher the power the bigger the cloud.
- Adjustable airflow – Keeping the airflow open allows more air to flow through the tank and down into your lungs which ultimately results in bigger vapour clouds. By adjusting this you can identify your preferred setting in order to optimise the flavour and cloud production.
- Mouthpiece – A wider mouthpiece (810 drip tip) is the best option as it allows a fuller inhale.
Recommendations for those new to DTL vaping
In order to ease yourself in gently to the world of DTL vaping it is best to start with a low power setting and restricted airflow. Over time your lungs will get used to holding large amounts of vapour in them and any discomfort that you previously experienced should reduce significantly.
Why should I choose DTL vaping?
- If you are an experienced vaper.
- If you are looking to produce massive clouds of billowing smoke!
- If you are willing to spend more money on a more advanced vaping device.
- REMEMBER DTL vaping works out more expensive than MTL as not only do you need more expensive equipment but it also uses up a lot more e-liquid.
PG and VG are 2 of the major components that make up e-liquids and determine the size of your vape cloud. The e-liquid is absorbed into the cotton within the coil and as this heats up, it converts the PG and VG into a vapour combined with nicotine and flavours which is then inhaled by the user.
What is PG?
PG is also known as propylene glycol and is slightly thicker in consistency than water. It is a colourless and almost odourless liquid with a high boiling point which therefore requires the coil to reach a high temperature in order to produce vapour. The vapour density produced is very comparable to that produced by a cigarette. The role of PG is to carry the flavours and nicotine and to provide the best possible throat hit for your vaping experience. Therefore e-liquids containing high levels of PG will give a much more obvious throat hit making these the best choice for those wanting to replicate “as best as possible” the sensation of smoking. However, the higher the level of PG, the harsher the throat hit will be. As PG is almost tasteless, the flavours within the e-liquids really come to life.
What is VG?
VG is also known as vegetable glycerine and is a thicker consistency than PG. It is responsible for producing most of the vapour and adds a slight sweetness to the flavour of the e-liquid. The general rule of thumb is that the higher the level VG the bigger and denser the vapour cloud will be. This will also result in a slightly sweeter taste coming through. An e-liquid containing only PG would be too harsh on the throat so the VG helps to balance it out.
So how do I choose the best ratio?
This largely boils down to your personal preference of what you want to achieve in your vaping experience whether it be flavour, throat hit or cloud production:
- Looking for bigger VAPOUR CLOUDS?
Opt for an e-liquid containing higher levels of VG. The higher the VG level, the thicker the liquid and consequently the bigger the vapour cloud produced. Therefore, a ratio of of 30PG:70VG or 20PG:80VG works best if this is what you are wanting to achieve.
IMPORTANT NOTE: As these liquids are much thicker they aren’t suitable for use in all e-cigarette but would instead work best in a sub ohm device. Browse our High VG e-liquids here
- Looking for the best FLAVOUR?
If maximum flavour is your primary goal then 50PG/50VG would be your best choice. Alternatively, you could try an e-liquid containing 60PG/40PG however the throat hit will be a little harsher. Browse our 50/50 e-liquids here
- Looking for a good THROAT HIT?
As previously mentioned the higher the ratio of PG the more obvious the throat hit so the best options are 60PG/40VG or 70PG/30VG
- Looking to be DISCREET?
To ensure you don’t compromise on flavour or vapour production your best choice would be an e-liquid containing an equal ratio of PG and VG (50PG/50VG) Browse our 50/50 e-liquids here
What e-liquid is best for your vaping device?
- High VG
As VG is more of a viscous liquid it works best with the sub-ohm coils. Firstly, they have a larger inlet for the e-liquid to move through and therefore won’t have any difficulty wicking this thicker liquid up and secondly due to the higher power of these devices it results in the production of a bigger vapour cloud. Browse our High VG liquids here
- High PG
E-liquids with a higher PG content work best with lower powers and higher resistance coils which also ensures your throat hit isn’t too harsh! Avoid using with coils that have a larger inlet as the liquid is very thin so this will allow it to wick too quickly and potentially cause it to leak. Browse our High PG e-liquids here
What e-liquids work best for MTL vaping?
- One of the main goals of switching from smoking cigarettes to vaping is to be successful! Luckily this style of vaping works well with e-liquids containing high levels of nicotine or nicotine salts which ensures your nicotine cravings are satisfied.
- 50PG/50VG will generally give the optimum results providing a smooth vape with plenty of flavour. The higher the level of PG, the sharper the hit will be.
- High levels of VG are best avoided as these e-liquids are thicker and therefore can end up clogging up the coil quickly resulting in unpleasant dry hits.
What e-liquids work best for DTL vaping?
- DTL vaping requires the opposite e-liquids to MTL vaping with the recommendation being for high VG levels. The higher the level of VG the bigger the vapour clouds! The most popular ratio is 70VG/30PG as this provides the perfect balance between flavour and cloud production and offers a smoother throat hit. However, 60VG/40PG and 80VG/20PG also work well with the latter producing massive, billowing vapour clouds!
- DTL vaping doesn’t work well with high nicotine levels so its recommended that an e-liquid containing less than 6mg should be used. As nicotine salts contain higher levels of nicotine these should also be avoided.
- As VG is more of a viscous liquid, it’s important that your device has a large enough inlet to allow the liquid to move through easily otherwise you could end up with a nasty and unpleasant dry hit.