What Are Nicotine Salts?
Nicotine salts are a recent development in the vaping world and are particularly beneficial for new vapers transitioning from smoking cigarettes to vaping. Prior to the release of these, e-liquids containing freebase nicotine were the only option available which can provide a harsher throat hit which may not be so pleasant for those new to vaping. Getting the strength correct is critical with the most important goal being to keep away from cigarettes. It must be high enough to satisfy your cravings and ensure you don’t slip back into your old ways but equally you don’t want to it to be too high as this could result in it being too harsh and put you off vaping.
Nicotine salts are designed to mimic the experience of smoking a cigarette and offer a rapid nicotine rush, therefore satisfying your cravings quickly along with a smoother throat hit compared to using standard e-liquids. Due to the rapid nicotine hit, users often find they end up reducing their liquid consumption.
What are Nicotine Salts?
Nicotine salts consist of a naturally derived form of nicotine found in the tobacco leaf. This is combined with benzoic acid which lowers the PH which results in a gentler vaping experience. On a molecular level nic salts are more stable than freebase nicotine resulting in them having a longer shelf life.
What’s the Difference Between Nicotine Salts & Freebase Nicotine?
With Nic salts having the ability to absorb into the bloodstream within 6 seconds, they offer an incredibly fast nicotine rush that’s comparable to smoking a cigarette. Freebase nicotine on the other hand takes longer to enter the bloodstream and gradually builds up over time. As a result vapers can satisfy their cravings quickly by using nic salts and require less puffs than when using freebase nicotine. This makes them a perfect choice for ex-smokers looking for that near-instant nicotine fix that they can’t get from a freebase nicotine.
Benefits of Nicotine Salts
- Rapid nicotine rush compared to using standard e-liquids
- Money saving – as due to the rapid nicotine hit, vapers tend to vape less often, therefore using less e-liquids
- Longer shelf life – as they are chemically more stable than standard e-liquids.
- Smoother throat hit
- Satisfies cravings for longer
- Flavour is unaffected – High strength freebase nicotine can taste slightly peppery. However, due to the more neutral PH of nic salts, these higher nicotine levels will not affect the taste of your e-liquid.
Cons of Nicotine Salts
- Not suitable for sub-ohm vaping – due to the high levels of nicotine.
- Lower VG levels – which means they aren’t suitable for vapers looking to produce large vapour clouds.
- High nicotine strength – which may be too high for some vapers.
Who are Nic Salts Suited to?
Nic salts are an ideal choice for anyone transitioning from smoking cigarettes to vaping especially those who require a higher nicotine content. A freebase e-liquid containing high levels of nicotine can be very harsh on the throat whereas nic salts are much gentler whilst still giving a satisfying nicotine hit.
As nicotine salts have become very popular, the range of strengths available has grown. One of the big benefits of this is that vapers can gradually wean themselves down to a lower level of nicotine and once they have reached 0mg may even be able to quit vaping altogether.
What Vape Kits Work Best With Nicotine Salts?
There are many devices on the market that are designed to be used with nic salts. Vapers should opt for a low powered pod kit or vape pen as nic salts contain a higher level of nicotine and therefore aren’t considered safe to be used with a higher powered device due to possible uncontrolled nicotine intake. Nic salts are designed for mouth to lung (MTL) vaping so it’s important to choose a coil resistance that’s at least 1.0 Ohm. Even with lower strength nic salts, they shouldn’t be used with sub-ohm devices for direct to lung (DTL) vaping as the hit would be too harsh.
- Recommendation for heavy smokers – For those new to vaping that smoke more than a packet of cigarettes per day, refillable pod kits using a 20mg nic salt are the ideal choice. This offers the convenience of a pod kit whilst allowing vapers to refill with any flavoured e-liquid they fancy giving them an endless amount of choice.
- Recommendation for average smokers – For those smoking more than 15 cigarettes per day, pairing a 10mg nic salt with either a vape pen or refillable pod kit would be ideal. If 10mg doesn’t satisfy your cravings, you still have the option to refill with a 20mg strength instead and start to reduce this strength over time. Using a coil resistance of 1.0 Ohm – 1.2 Ohm would ensure optimum flavour with a satisfying nicotine hit.
- Recommendation for light smokers – For those smoking 5-10 cigarettes per day, a vape pen using a coil resistance 1.0 Ohm and above and paired with 6mg or 10mg nic salts would be a good option. Vape pens often feature an adjustable airflow allowing vapers to increase the airflow for an enhanced nicotine hit with a looser inhale.